Applied Computer Science
The Applied Computer Science program focuses on the theory and application of computing in business and scientific environments.
|Full-time:||3 years / 4 years|
|Starting in:||January, September|
|Tuition Fee:||18,360 CAD per year|
|Location:||Winnipeg Campus, Winnipeg, Canada|
The Applied Computer Science major is designed to prepare students in the following core areas:
- Programming Fundamentals (object-oriented, event driven, algorithms)
- Information Management (database systems, data modeling/warehousing, relational databases)
- Software Engineering (software requirements, design, process and project management)
- Operating Systems
- Net-Centric Computing (internet programming, networks, security)
- Human Computer Interaction (GUI Design and Programming)
- Intelligent Systems (Machine Learning).
Our team-oriented courses are meant to strengthen communication skills, experience group dynamics, and foster self-confidence. The 4-year major includes the development of a team-based software project for a local IT organization. Our program will help develop analytical thinking and applied skills by blending theoretical and practical aspects of computer science.
Graduates are employed in a wide variety of positions in business, industry, and government in the areas of web application development, database application programming, database administration, systems analysis and design, project management, technical support, and quality assurance. Some pursue graduate studies in computer science, information sciences, biostatistics, or MBA programs.
What our students say
“I left the University of Winnipeg with strong computer programming and database design skills. As the Application Administrator for a large hospital information system I am able to put these skills into practice on a daily basis.”
Matthew Sodomsky (BSc) Application Administrator, Manitoba e-Health, Winnipeg Regional Health